The Association for the Blind and Visually Impaired South Carolina (ABVI) seeks a fulltime dynamic, driven, experienced Director of Major Gifts to develop and manage a portfolio of major gift donors and prospects. ABVI is seeking a candidate with a 5+ year proven fundraising track record with experience identifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding high level donors. Applicants should have a client service attitude, an ability to think on their feet and be able to maintain a positive demeanor at all times. This position reports directly to the Chief Development Officer. To apply, please email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Director of Major Gifts
Position: Director of Major Gifts
Reports To: Chief Development Officer (CDO)
Positions Supervised: None
Minimum Educational Experience: Bachelor’s degree required.
Minimum Experience: 5+ years fundraising experience in major gifts strongly preferred.
Required Licenses or Certifications: None
- Proven fundraising track record with experience identifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding high level donors.
- Comfortable researching and analyzing large groups of data to uncover major giving prospects.
- Ability to demonstrate drive, confidence and an ownership mentality.
- Ability to emotionally and colorfully describe the incredible work done by ABVI.
- Self-disciplined, able to prioritize tasks in order to meet deadlines, strong work ethic.
- Demonstrated proficiency in computer technology including applications for project and data management and electronic calendars (Bloomerang (or comparable donor database), Windows, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook preferred). Ability to quickly learn software specific to the department or institution.
- Strong written (including proof reading and editing) and oral communication skills, including the ability to briefly summarize the essence of issues and means to address them. Use appropriate grammar in verbal or written form.
- Sound judgment and discretion in handling and securing confidential information as well as the ability to conduct oneself in a highly professional manner.
- Flexibility to work as part of a team or independently to meet goals in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment. Self-directed to act and resolve issues.
Core Values: All employees are expected to exemplify the core values of ABVI. The core values are: 1. Mission First; 2. Courageously Innovative; 3. Work Smart; 4. Culture of Discipline and 5. Accountability.
Responsibilities: Include, but are not limited to:
- Serve as a frontline fundraiser.
- Develop and maintain a portfolio of major gift prospects and donors capable of giving significant contributions to ABVI.
- Develop and implement management strategies and approaches aimed at advancing donors into higher levels of giving and ultimately planned gifts.
- Steward donors who have already made contributions to ABVI.
- Build relationships with donors and ensure all major giving donors receive appropriate, consistent recognition and an accounting of the impact of their gift on the organization.
- Creatively think of ways to connect with each major gift donor and celebrate them in unique ways.
- Prospect by doing research and making phone calls to donors and financial advisors to develop a pipeline of long-term support.
- Produce high quality proposals, reports and other cultivation, solicitation and stewardship materials as needed.
- Enter and track all donor interactions and deadlines in Bloomerang.
- Take the lead on any capital campaigns and act as the liaison between the CDO/CEO and any third-party consultants.
- Take the lead on planning events to celebrate major gift donors as well as friendraising events to cultivate new donors.
- Work and travel with staff to plan and conduct outreach, visits, presentations and events as needed.
- Work with staff to have major gift prospects at all events.
- Work with CDO to plan events for major gift donors and major gift prospects.
- Present regular updates to CDO and CEO on status of donors in cycle, major gift to-date, etc.
FLSA Status: Exempt. 37.5 hours per week (fulltime), with additional hours requiring prior approval of supervisor.
Compensation and Benefits: Competitive salary based on candidate’s experience. Benefits include health insurance, a short-term disability policy, a 3% IRA match and a flex PTO policy.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer.