ABVI offers classes geared towards independent living and vocational rehabilitation at two center-based locations in the Tri-County. Classes are taught in Charleston, with a second location opening in Summerville in January 2019!
All center-based services in our Charleston and Summerville locations are free of charge and open to any adult over the age of 18 who has a visual impairment. The only requirement is to become a client of ABVI.
Contact Brooks Harken at email@example.com or 843.952.7242 for a copy of the client application or download it here.
** Holiday Update: Our 2019 classes will resume on January 22, 2019!**
Charleston Location: 1 Carriage Lane, Building A, Charleston, SC 29407
Classes in our Charleston location are taught every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Instructors of the blind and visually impaired teach the following classes in independent living and vocational rehabilitation:
- Activities of Daily Living teaches adaptive independent living skills such as health management and personal self-care, medication management, home and kitchen safety, cleaning, household organization, meal preparation, laundry and more.
- Assistive Technology Tutoring provides blind and visually impaired individuals training to utilize low-vision aids and other devices to help perform daily tasks without using one’s vision.
- Braille is a system of reading and writing for the blind. ABVI offers Grade 1 and Grade 2 braille classes which teach the basics of reading and writing.
- Client Connections is a new, weekly social opportunity that allows ABVI clients to connect with other blind and visually impaired adults. Activities will include Art Therapy, Group Therapy, Cooking and more.
- Computer Training includes training in JAWS or Zoom Text, Microsoft Office, Internet and/or other software as needed for independence or employment.
- Orientation and Mobility (O&M) training helps blind and visually impaired adults learn how navigate safely using a cane, public transportation and more.
- Soft Skills are the personal skills individuals need to obtain a job and then be successful within the workplace. ABVI offers soft skills instruction for clients seeking employment. Soft skills training includes resume building, interview skills, communications.
All classes taught at our Charleston center-based location are free of charge and open to any adult Tri-County adult over the age of 18 who has a visual impairment. The only requirement is to become a client of ABVI. To register for classes, please contact Brooks Harken at firstname.lastname@example.org or 843.952.7242.
Summerville Location: 230 Deming Way, Summerville, SC 29438
NEW LOCATION!!!! We are excited to announce that our second center-based location is opening in January 2019! We are currently enrolling clients in the following Activities of Daily Living classes:
- Home Management & Safety
Classes begin January 22, 2019 and will be offered every Tuesday at 10 am.
All classes taught at our Summerville center-based location are free of charge and open to any adult Tri-County adult over the age of 18 who has a visual impairment. The only requirement is to become a client of ABVI.
To register for classes, contact Brooks Harken at email@example.com or 843.952.7242.