Personal Independence is for adults who are blind or visually impaired who want to learn how to navigate daily life with a visual impairment.
New clients meet with the ABVI Client Services Manager to create an individualized service plan. This ensures that clients take the classes they need to achieve their personal goals. Goals can range from learning how to read braille, cook independently, use a smartphone and more.
Most training is done in private, 1-hour blocks with an ABVI instructor. However, some classes are taught in small groups. Once a specific skill is mastered, the client graduates from that training and moves on to another goal.
Transportation is provided for ABVI’s Own Your Life program so clients can get to and from one of our locations for classes. Depending on where the client lives, ABVI will provide Tel-A-Ride or TriCounty Link passes at no cost.
ABVI has carefully identified the training that is most relevant and beneficial to individuals who are blind or visually impaired. Opportunities include:
- Activities of Daily Living teaches adaptive, independent living skills such as health management, personal self-care, medication management, home and kitchen safety, household organization and more.
- Assistive Technology Tutoring provides training for low-vision aids and other devices such as iPads, iPhones and video magnifiers.
- Braille is a tactile system of reading and writing for the blind. ABVI offers Grade 1 and Grade 2 braille classes.
- Client Connections brings clients together on a weekly basis to learn from, share with and support one another. Opportunities include group therapy, cooking class, book club, game night and more. Click on the calendar link below for all Client Connections opportunities.
- Peer-to-Peer Mentoring allows a new client to connect with an existing client who has experienced similar challenges while learning to live with a visual impairment.
To download a client application or view the current client calendar, www.abvisc.org/services/.
Photo Description: Kimberly Taylor (ABVI Instructor) provides tutoring to Eric G (ABVI Client).