Vocational Rehabilitation is for Own Your Life clients who are ready to learn the adaptive skills needed to enter or re-enter the workforce.
Clients meet with the ABVI Client Services Manager to discuss their professional goals and create an individualized service plan. The service plan ensures that clients take the classes they need to obtain the job they want.
Most training is done in private, 1-hour blocks with an ABVI instructor. However, some classes are taught in small groups.
Transportation is provided for ABVI’s Own Your Life program so clients can get to and from one of our locations for classes. Depending on where the client lives, ABVI will provide Tel-A-Ride or TriCounty Link passes at no cost.
All training is based on the client’s career goals, but could include:
- Activities of Daily Living (self-care, medication management, kitchen safety, etc)
- Assistive Technology (iPads, iPhones, video magnifiers, etc)
- Braille (ABVI offers Grade 1 and Grade 2 braille classes)
- Computer Training including JAWS (screen reader), ZoomText (magnification software) and Microsoft Office
- Orientation and Mobility Training (white cane)
- Soft Skills (resume building, interview skills, problem solving, etc.)
To download a client application or view the current client calendar, www.abvisc.org/services/.
Photo Description: ABVI Client Amanda M. is pictured above working at a computer.