About

The Association for the Blind and Visually Impaired South Carolina (ABVI) has been serving and supporting individuals with visual needs in the Charleston Tri-County area for over 80 years.

ABVI was established on October 14, 1936 by a dedicated group of volunteers led by Mrs. Fred J. Sahlmann and members of the American Foundation for the Blind. We were chartered and incorporated on April 19, 1937. While our services have changed over the years, we have always promoted independence and strived to improve the quality of life for blind and visually impaired individuals through the programs we provide.